Welcome to the Wine Buying Guide

As a wine enthusiast living in the San Francisco Bay area, I have the luxury of being able to head off to local wineries at a moments notice to taste or buy wines. As a result, my wine collection is a mixture of wine club offerings and limited release wines that I've picked up at the wineries and are usually available only at those wineries. I realize, however, that not everyone has that opportunity. Their source of wines is typically the local grocery or package store where they either buy an old standard, look for a recommended wine, or employ a hit or miss strategy for trying new wines. With the growth of the internet, online wine purchasing opportunities are now plentiful. The question, though, is what to buy. Yes, just about all of the wineries now offer their products through internet sales, but which of those wines are worth the effort and shipping costs? This blog is dedicated to providing information for wine lovers to assist them in their online buying decisions. As I visit local wineries, I will relate my findings through the blog to give readers an idea of what wines I find that I'd recommend to others. These are usually wines that I buy myself, or wish I could buy if I had an unlimited budget for wine purchases. Each entry will provide information about the location of the winery, varietals with which the winery specializes, the costs of the wines, website links, and my own recommendations. If they have had their wines rated by some of the better known reviewers, such as Robert Parker, I will mention that also, as well as the winery's own tasting notes, if they are particularly helpful or entertaining. To give you a sense of my tastes, I tend toward Pinot Noirs and Zinfandels. I've run across numerous other varietals that I enjoy, but I'm always particularly interested in Pinots and Zins. A good Cabernet Sauvigon or Chardonnay hits the spot, too. Favorites include Kunde Century Vines Zinfandel, Sonoma-Cutrer The Cutrer Chardonnay, La Crema Anderson Valley Pinot Noir, and Valley of the Moon Old Vine Zin. The trouble here is, unless you've visited the winery, you've probably not tasted these wines. There are many wonderful, small production wines out there and I hope to pass on my favorites through this forum.

Monday, February 20, 2012

J Vineyards & Winery

Spending last Saturday afternoon in Sonoma County, I made a wrong turn when looking for another winery and stumbled upon J Vineyards & Winery.  I've been to J before and had thought about visiting that afternoon, but put it off to another time.  I guess fate forced the issue by leading me there anyway.  So since we were already there...

Past visits to J seemed to focus on sparkling wines, particularly my first visit several years ago.  Their sparklings are clean and crisp with beautifully bright flavors.  The last time I was there, we tasted one of their sparklings that tasted remarkably of apple.  We tasted two this time out, their Brut Rose NV ($32, 13,500 cases) and the 2005 Vintage Brut ($48).  Both met high expectations from previous visits.  The Brut Rose earned 90 points from the Wine Enthusiast.

What impressed me this time out was the quality of the varietals J is producing.  I've long enjoyed their Chardonnay and Pinot Noir available at the local grocery store, but they are making some low production wines that are outstanding.  We sampled two Chardonnays on this trip, the 2010 Strata ($45, 500 cases) and the 2010 Jewell Ranch Vineyard ($45, 500 cases).  The Strata is in the Burgundian style, minerally and clean.  Surprisingly, my creamy/buttery loving sweetie was clearly enjoying it.  The Jewell Ranch Vineyard is in the Green Valley, a sub-appellation of the Russian River Valley.  While both were wonderful, we took home a bottle of the Strata.

The Pinots were rich and well balanced.  We tasted three on the visit, the 2009 Russian River Valley ($35, 12,000 cases), the 2009 Robert Thomas Vineyard - Block 2 ($65, 400 cases), and the 2009 Barrel 16 ($75, 535 cases).  Each step up the ladder surpassed the previous rung.  The RRV is widely available in local groceries and package stores, but the other two are only found at the tasting room or on-line through their website.  The website says of the Barrel 16, "The 2009 J Vineyards “Barrel 16” Pinot Noir is a luxurious wine with distinct complexity and balanced tannins. The wine opens with subtle floral aromas of violet followed by cherry, plum, and blueberry. There are also delicate hints of licorice and spice. Rich and supple flavors of vanilla cream and strawberry fill the mouth, complementing the noseand providing a long, lingering finish of cinnamon, clove, and anise." And of the Robert Thomas Vineyard it says, "The 2009 J Vineyards “Robert Thomas Vineyard—Block 2” Pinot Noir features rose petal, violet, and subtle vanilla toasty aromas. Earthy, ripe strawberry, cherry, and nuances of cranberry fill your mouth with silkiness balanced by a nice acidity. The fruit is gracefully layered with tannins that carry through to a lengthy, lush finish of caramel and vanilla. This Pinot Noir pairs well with marbled red meat broiled to perfection. Try it with Boeuf Bourguignon or braised lamb shanks that have been basted in this wine." While both were fantastic, we opted for a bottle of the Barrel 16, another wine for a special occassion.

J's tasting room is an elegant affair on the west side of 101 a little south of Healdsburg at 11447 Old Redwood Highway.  We found their staff to be attentive, informative, and friendly.  Their website is http://www.jwine.com/.  J has four varieties of their wine club, ranging from the J Signature with two to four bottles five times a year, to J Luxe, which is limited to 50 members and provides access to their most exclusive wines.

No comments:

Post a Comment