Welcome to the Wine Buying Guide

As a wine enthusiast living in the San Francisco Bay area, I have the luxury of being able to head off to local wineries at a moments notice to taste or buy wines. As a result, my wine collection is a mixture of wine club offerings and limited release wines that I've picked up at the wineries and are usually available only at those wineries. I realize, however, that not everyone has that opportunity. Their source of wines is typically the local grocery or package store where they either buy an old standard, look for a recommended wine, or employ a hit or miss strategy for trying new wines. With the growth of the internet, online wine purchasing opportunities are now plentiful. The question, though, is what to buy. Yes, just about all of the wineries now offer their products through internet sales, but which of those wines are worth the effort and shipping costs? This blog is dedicated to providing information for wine lovers to assist them in their online buying decisions. As I visit local wineries, I will relate my findings through the blog to give readers an idea of what wines I find that I'd recommend to others. These are usually wines that I buy myself, or wish I could buy if I had an unlimited budget for wine purchases. Each entry will provide information about the location of the winery, varietals with which the winery specializes, the costs of the wines, website links, and my own recommendations. If they have had their wines rated by some of the better known reviewers, such as Robert Parker, I will mention that also, as well as the winery's own tasting notes, if they are particularly helpful or entertaining. To give you a sense of my tastes, I tend toward Pinot Noirs and Zinfandels. I've run across numerous other varietals that I enjoy, but I'm always particularly interested in Pinots and Zins. A good Cabernet Sauvigon or Chardonnay hits the spot, too. Favorites include Kunde Century Vines Zinfandel, Sonoma-Cutrer The Cutrer Chardonnay, La Crema Anderson Valley Pinot Noir, and Valley of the Moon Old Vine Zin. The trouble here is, unless you've visited the winery, you've probably not tasted these wines. There are many wonderful, small production wines out there and I hope to pass on my favorites through this forum.

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Kokomo Winery

You don’t expect much when you first step into the Kokomo Winery tasting room.  It’s located at 4791 Dry Creek Road in Healdsburg in a group of tasting rooms around a large common parking lot.  Entering the Kokomo tasting room, you find a barrel warehouse, with a couple of counters and some merchandise cabinets at the front, almost as though they said, “Well, we have this space left over in front of our barrel room, what should we do with it?”  The lack of pretension, though, leaves lots of room for some surprising wines. 

The first time I visited I was wowed by two wines in particular, an unusual Grenache Rose and the Winemaker’s Reserve Peters Vineyard Pinot Noir.  My second visit I repeated those purchases, taking the last bottle of the Rose in their stock.  This last visit, though, I found some new wines to be excited about.  And apparently I’m not the only one impressed by their latest showings.  Kokomo did quite well in the recent San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition, with two Best of Class awards (the 2009 Peters Vineyard Chardonnay and the 2009 Pauline’s Vineyard Zinfandel), a Double Gold (the 2009 Peters Vineyard Pinot Noir),  a Gold (the 2009 Pauline’s Vineyard Merlot), and a Bronze (the 2009 North Coast Cuvee).

We started our tasting with the 2009 Peters Vineyard Chardonnay ($28, 665 cases), which fit in well with my sweetie's preference for buttery/creamy Chards.  The website's Winemaker Notes for this wine say, "This Chardonnay is done in a Burgundian style.  Sur lees method and secondary fermentation were used to increase the palate complexity.  The cool growing region is the reason for the acidity in this wine.  This Chardonnay has pineapple, creme brulee, & honeysuckle aromas.  The big, juicy mouth feel is followed by apple pie & vanilla with a clean finish.  It should drink well now through the next 5-7 years."

Next up was the 2009 Gopher Hill Block Pinot Noir from Peters Vineyard ($42, 200 cases).  This wine received a 91 from Wine Review.  Winemaker Notes call this wine, “Floral and Delicate, showing the feminine side of the varietal, this wine shows beautiful rose petals with a red apple-skin character.” 

The next wines were the surprises, for me anyway.  Two Zinfandels, one from each side of Dry Creek Valley.  From the west side, the 2009 Mounts Vineyard ($28, 200 cases).  This vineyard gets the morning sun.  The result is a floral nose, less jammy than its compatriot.  My sweetie said it even tasted like flowers.  From the east side, the 2009 Timber Crest Vineyard Winemaker’s Reserve ($32, 190 cases).  This vineyard gets the afternoon sun, producing the jammy flavors that I prefer.  Both wines were wonderful.  We bought both and shared them at a dinner party last weekend.

Our tasting ended with the 2008 Dry Creek Valley Petit Sirah ($27, 174 cases), with was a dark, rich red and earned 90 points from the Wine Review, and a 2008 Malbec from Windsor Oaks Vineyard, which is in very low supply.

Of the wines we tasted, only the Gopher Hill Pinot, the Peters Vineyard Chardonnay, the Petit Sirah, and the Mounts Zin are available online through their website (www.kokomowinery.com).  Along with the two Zins, we also purchased one of the Chards and  a Peters Vineyard Pinot Noir.  I have also seen Kokomo Wines for sale on either WTSO or Lot18, I can’t remember which.  I purchased a three-pack of their Windsor Oaks Pinot from the site for a pretty good price.

If you are visiting Healdsburg, this tasting room is worth a visit…not for the luscious décor or the fantastic view that you will find at some wineries, but for the wonderful wines you will taste.  That, after all, is what it’s all about…right?

No comments:

Post a Comment